TCA high school and Great River School (GRS) partner together to form our high school athletic teams which are called the Charter Stars. St. Paul Academy (SPA) hosts the JV and Varsity Boys’ Hockey teams. We also partner with Nova Classical Academy (Nova) to form our Baseball team, called the Knights. Varsity athletes have the opportunity to letter in their individual sports. The Charter Stars are members of the Twin Cities Athletic Conference (TCAC) and the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL).
The Charter Stars athletics program is run by our High School Athletic Director, Coach Ilse Larsen. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 651-205-4797 (TCA Main Desk).
In the Fall we offer:
- Coed Cross Country (Grades 7-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
- HS Girls’ Soccer (Grades 7-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
- HS Boys’ Soccer (Grades 8-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
- HS Volleyball (Grades 9-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
In the Winter we offer:
- HS Boys’ Basketball (Grades 8-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
- HS Girls’ Basketball (Grades 8-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
- Cheerleading (Grades 9-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
- Boys’ Hockey (Grades 7-12) – $600 Activity Fee, payable to SPA
In the Spring we offer:
- HS Baseball (Grades 8-12) – $250 Activity Fee, payable to Nova Classical Academy
- HS Softball (Grades 7-12) – Activity Fee Schedule below
High School sports are run by our High School Athletic Director Coach Ilse Larsen. You can contact her at email@example.com or call her at 651-205-4797.
For the 2016/17 school year, the Activity Fee schedule is as follows:
- First Sport: $175
- Second Sport/Second Sibling: $155
- Third Sport/Third Sibling: $135
- Late Registration Fee: $25 (all registrations completed after the season deadline will be subject to this fee)
- Free/Reduced Lunch Scholarship: Activity Fee reduced by 50% – Must have completed the 2016/17 Educational Benefits Application and received Free/Reduced Lunch status to qualify (Late Registration Fee will NOT be reduced)
Forms and Activity Fees for our Charter Stars athletic programs must be completed and paid prior to practicing or trying out for a team. They can be turned in to the TCA office in person or through the mail. Once the season has started, a student athlete must wait 24 hours after completing registration before he or she can begin participation. After the first week of the season, tryouts will be completed and registration will be closed for all our athletic offerings.
Athletes must complete the MSHSL Eligibility Form annually. A Sports Qualifying Physical Examination Form must be completed every 3 years and will be kept on file. The Annual Sports Health Questionnaire is required if the Sports Physical is dated more than 3 months prior to the beginning of the season. Students with Asthma and/or serious Allergies must have Action Plans on file in the office.
For more information on registration and for links to all the forms, click here.
* Please be aware that refunds requested after an athlete is placed on one of our rosters will be subject to a registration charge of $50 ($25 if qualified for Free/Reduced Lunch Scholarship), in addition to any season costs that may already have been incurred.
Athletic Eligibility Policy
The Charter Stars believe all our students deserve the opportunity to participate in our athletic offerings. We also believe that student athletes need to place academics as their top priority. To encourage student athletes to maintain good standing in all their classes, we developed the following Grade Eligibility Policy:
Student athletes must have a GPA of 2.0 or above in the quarter immediately prior to the sport season. Students with a GPA lower than 2.0 will not be eligible to tryout for or join a team.
The only exception to this policy is for incoming 9th graders during fall sports. Since there is no GPA available, all student athletes that register and make a team will be academically eligible to join that team.
Student athletes that are placed on Mandatory Office Hours at Twin Cities Academy or on the Dean’s Academic Concern List at Great River School will be deemed Ineligible for Athletics. These reports are run according to the 2015/16 schedule of Grade Reporting Periods. When a student athlete is Ineligible during one of these Grade Reporting Periods:
- They are not eligible to play in games and therefore should not be in uniform for home or away games.
- They may practice with the team so long as they develop a plan with their Coach for becoming Eligible during the next Grade Reporting Period.
- If a student athlete is deemed Ineligible for two consecutive Grade Reporting Periods, they are no longer eligible to practice with the team.
- If a student athlete is deemed Ineligible for three consecutive Grade Reporting Periods, they are no longer on the team. (Refunds for activity fees are not given in the event of a player becoming Ineligible under this policy.)
- A student athlete will become Eligible when they are no longer on Mandatory Office Hours at the next Grade Reporting Period.