AVID at TCA
AVID at Twin Cities Academy
WHAT IS AVID?
Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID is a global non-profit organization that works with schools and districts to provide direct support for students in grades K-16 who have the potential of becoming first-generation college students. Twin Cities Academy has a school-wide curriculum and rigorous expectations for grades 6-12.
THE AVID MISSION
The mission of AVID is to close the opportunity gap by preparing ALL students for college and career readiness and success in a global society.
THE AVID ELECTIVE CLASS at TCA
- All 6th and 9th grade students take the AVID elective for the 1st semester; for 2nd semester, they apply to continue
- AVID 7, 8, 10, 11 & 12 students apply to take the class for the school year
- Is the foundation of AVID
- Built into students’ schedules as an elective
- Is offered in grade 6-12 (2022 was our first class of AVID Seniors)
- Includes (S)WIOCR learning strategies to develop skills for success in college and/or careers:
- Speaking, Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading
- Focuses on college and career readiness
- Engages students in games and activities to build community
- Incorporates time management, organization, and study skills
- Assists students in navigating their opportunities post high school
- Researching opportunities
- Financial Literacy
- Students who apply to take AVID may be:
- The first in their families to attend college
- Historically underserved in four-year colleges
- From low income families
- Experiencing special circumstances such as being raised by a non-custodial family member
Check out this testimonial from AVID students:
In addition to offering the AVID elective, Twin Cities Academy is becoming an AVID school; we are applying AVID Literacy skills and strategies to create rigorous classes for ALL students.